Saturday, June 20, 2009

From My Hospital Bed in Springfield, MO

So today was one of the craziest days in my life to say the least. I am blogging on a friend's computer from my hospital bed at St. John's hospital in Sprinfield, MO. I was in a car wreck and both of my legs are broken. My left ankle and my right tibia. A totalled car, ambulance ride and 2.5 hour surgury later, it is a miracle that these are my only injuries. Kailie is fine and in a lot better shape than I am. Some scrapes and bruises and a fractured collar bone. It is truly a miracle. So her Britax Boulevad carseat was truly as safe as it's crash tests claimed and the best baby gear investmet we've made.

Jeff was able to jump on the first plane out of Bagdhad for emergency leave and we hope to see him as soon as tomorrow night. This is SUCH a relief to me as he can help me with the legal work and with Kailie during the hardest time. Not quite the circumstances in which I wasnted to seehim, though, but I'll take whatever I can get. I am also relieved to have been able to talk to my husband briefly on the phone before my surgery and with my brother, mother and mother-in-law on the phone post surgury.

I don't know what else to say but the huge amount of gratitude I am feeling (well, outside the pain in my legs). For the military and church friends who drove out immediately, the support, Kailie's safety-- she was the first thing on my mind when they were cutting me out of the car, the opportunity to have a computer for a few minutes, and the excellent care here at St. John's. It is the top hospital in the whole surrounding area, and I could not ask for better care.

I am hoping to have some more access to the internet at some point during my stay here, but calls are also appreciated. My cell phone was in the wreck so I do not have it at this time. I will try and keep everyone posted on my progress, but it looks like I will be in casts and a wheelchair for quite sometime...

Love you all,

Emi

7 comments:

Whitney said...

Emi--I am in shock! I have been in St. Louis all day and I just saw this post! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE call if you need anything.

Sunday Girl said...

Emi, OMG! I am so thankful you guys will be ok. How scary, I am so sorry. Let me know if I can do anything, I would be more than happy.

Wow, what some people will do to get their husband home, lol!!

Get better soon.

The Metcalf Five said...

Thank goodness that you and your daughter are okay. I can only imagine how scary that must have been. I wish that I was closer to be able to help out but my prayers are with you.....of comfort and fast healing. Take care!!

Dunstan Family said...

Emi I am thinking about you... I hope you get better soon...

Unknown said...

Emi --

I just found out about this. . . I am so sorry to hear about the accident; I know we are far away, but I'm sure Jeff knows if there's any way we (all of us guys down here) could help out please let us know.

Get better soon

happyohana3 said...

Emi! We are so glad that you guys are okay! We are thinking of you and hope you guys get to come home soon.

Anonymous said...

Emi
I just read your blog and Im in awe.
Good thing you and your daughter are ok.
Get well soon!!!!

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected