Life is as busy as ever, but I wanted to share my latest little creation! This is the second of two ACU bears I made (you know, when I was supposed to be doing a dozen other things) and I think they turned out really cute. This has been my first attempt at stuffed animal making and the first bear I made was my guinea pig where I learned a lot from the pattern, but changed things to how I liked them a little better for this second little guy (pictured, left). Isn't he cute?
After tackling these creations I am inspired to design my own little creatures, but I did purchase a second pattern so I can practice some other patterns, animals and techniques. I am slowly, but surely making my way towards an Etsy shop (now to decide on a shop name. I've toyed around with a bunch of different names, but want something that represents me and doesn't restrict me to creating a certain product or for a certain age-group...ideas?).
Kailie has claimed the first bear as her own (pictured on my Facebook page), and Kailie has been taking her to bed the past two nights and even carted her along in the car a time or two. We named her Sapper, because Kailie said she is a girl bear (she even requested I sew on some eyelashes. Maybe another day) and I thought it was a cute military reference.
Needless to say, Jeff's old uniforms he gave me for crafting are finally going to good use! This little bear is a boy I am giving away as a Christmas gift. Maybe I should name him Ranger.


5 comments:
I love his legs! They look so much better. I might need a copy of the pattern you drew up because i dont know if ill be able to go with the legs that come with the patterns anymore. i also really like how the face turned out. He's super cute! Okay toy nerd in me coming out: how did you do the eyes and when did you add the legs (before or after turning and stuffing)? I'm looking forward to seeing more stuffed animals, especially your own designs. I already have a request for you when you start making your own patterns. :)
I actually used poly rein snaps for the eyes (I have a snap press and pliers) I just faced the back caps out so they look like eyes! I did this in the beginning before piecing him together. I will show you sometime-- we'll get together after we get back from another road trip this weekend!
As for the legs I sewed the bottom at the end, which I am toying around with another method, because it's a pain and took me like 3 tries to get it just right without things shifting!,
I can't wait to play with the snap press. I decided snaps would be really nice for the overalls but sewing them on was a pain.
I would love to hear other ideas on closing/finishing stuffed animals. It has taken me a bit of practice to get that seam looking pretty nice. (It helped that I did a few mermaids that way as tales are flexible and don't shift much). From what I can tell the number one trick to sewing the bottom last is ironing the intended seam before stuffing the animal. That has helped me get better looking seams.
SOOO cute Emi! The bear kind of has a Japanese stuffed animal look that I LOVE :) You are so talented!
Arigatou! I think that's what drew me to the original pattern Jana, a little nihon-teki.
Post a Comment