Friday, November 20, 2009

Thinking Out Loud & Dreaming Big

So I had a crazy idea today...what if I wrote a book? No, not a book on poetry or music therapy or anything else that's been on my to-do list, but a book about cloth diapering. All the styles, brands, laundry routines, wipes solutions, the whole nine yards. All the things I blog about and review, but more polished, official and easy to flip through in the comfort of your own home. I know it'd be a HUGE project and be extremely involved at that, but it crossed my mind today and I really think I want to do it.

I have contact information with the founders and marketing contacts for many of the top brands of cloth diapers where I could work on getting photo rights to use photos in my book and get the cloth diapering community or companies involved at some level. I'm still in the brainstorming stages and will need to form an outline of what chapters I would include and topics I would cover. Then I would need a draft of a book and find a publisher. To be honest I don't even know where to start with the publishing portion of it, but I'm a pretty smart gal and did tackle a Master's thesis after all. So that gives me some hope.

Where did this crazy idea root from? Well I think it's part of my Master's degree mind wanting to be expressed and it is a topic I have become quite an expert on over the past year and a half. And what knowledge I lack I know where to go for resources and have many friends and contacts now in the cloth diaper community. I am also in contact with Betz White the author of Green Sewing and other craft books I will be reviewing, and thought to myself: I wonder if she knows a publisher who supports green products. With cloth diapers becoming more popular due to the economy and the advances in cloth diaper textiles and design, I think that this would be an opportune time to jump on a chance like this.

Now let the research begin......oh, and do you think I'm crazy? That reminds me, my father has published dozens of books, maybe I should see if he has any ideas for where to start on a non-scholarly publication.

1 comment:

MissouriMormonMama said...

I think it's a brilliant idea Emi! I could use copies as a baby shower gift ( ; I think you'd be great with pulling something like that together- fun idea!

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected