Sunday, March 04, 2012

What Do You Do With Yards & Yards of Soft Flannel Fabric?

So I totally let my first week slip by, but with good reason I suppose. I have been sewing up a storm! I have made three rag quilts, two pillow cases and I'm halfway through sewing fifty cloth wipes. They are all relatively quick projects, so it is satisfying to be able to finish something in a few hours rather than having it drag on for weeks, then get put on the back burner when I get burnt out (which are most the projects I seem to start)!

It's hard to steal time between naps and chores, but I'm telling you strip rag quilting is one of my new faves. It may be my go-to shower gift from now on, since I can whip one out in a couple of hours, which is very fast in the world of quilting!
The first rag quilt I made was for Jaron and features Toy Story and vehicles with red blanket trim for binding. This is a three layer quilt that is nice and warm, but I decided to also make some two later quilts which are perfect for snuggling, dragging around and for milder weather.  I also skipped the binding on the two layer quilts which saved time and money.

Kailie's rag quilt, which is the second one I made, is a significantly larger and features a purple Tinkerbell flannel on the back and an aqua and purple mermaid print on the front. She is using this on her bed right now, so I still need to snap a good shot of it, but she loves it. The two layers and the rag quilt edges make it all the more snuggly and soft.

The third quilt I made was a smaller, two layer rag quilt for Jaron with some remaining flannel I had and features royal blue and light blue monster stripes and a yellow back (with random artistic Toy Story strip on the end, because I ran out of yellow).

So moving on to my other sewing project this week, I have been trying to decide what to do with this adorable pig and butterfly fabric I had also picked up at Joanns when I got the mermaid fabric for Kailie, because we are not in need of any more blankets at the moment. She asked for clothes and I contemplated it, but wasn't sold on that  idea...then it hit me. Pillow cases!


She doesn't have any spare cases other than the ones that came with her two sheet sets and they are both cotton, so these flannel ones are soft and warm alternatives. And she won't physically grow out of them like clothes. I had never made pillow cases before, but they seemed pretty straight forward and just required some accurate measuring and sewing. So I pulled out a pillow case from our linens and whipped these two adorable guys last night after the kids were asleep. It's a really great 1 hour project!

Oh and in case you missed it we finally got our paper orders for Ft. Lewis. So now the real "fun" begins as we prepare for the move and get this house on the market!

2 comments:

Marmie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marmie said...

I love the strip quilts and comfy flannel pillowcases! I just got another kimono today. It is purple with white and pink flowers. I am sure it can be used to make something really cute. Check out my blog!

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected