Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Saying Goodbye to Dish Network

So Jeff and I finally decided to ditch Dish Network and give Apple TV a try! The device cost around $100, but it uses our internet connection to stream Netflix, YouTube, Paid Movies and other things off the internet onto our TV screen. The connection has been great (much better than when we have tried to stream Netflix through our game console) and there are tons of shows on Netflix for both kids and parents to watch (plus we only pay for the $10/mo. plan and still have all the instant watch shows which is awesome). 


We were spending (well still are until I cancel at the end of the month) $60 a month to predominantly watch Nick Jr. DVR episodes (so the Apple TV will "pay for itself" in about a month and a half after we cancel) and I get so many Nick DVDs for my blogging that we can just pop those in or watch the free cartoon DVDs on Netflix. Yes, I will miss my occasional Food Network episodes, but I'm sure I will watch some online from time to time, or can buy ebook cookbooks for my iPad. Plus I think I need to be cooking more than watching people cook! 


I don't want to be a no-TV family, I just felt like we are spending a lot of money for the same sort of things. If we can get our TV entertainment broadcasted from the internet we are already paying for without the commercials, why not, right?  It's not exactly the same, but we don't have any shows we watch regularly or that we can't find in some way, shape or form online. And if there's something we really have to see, we can get TV series DVDs through our mail portion of Netflix. 

So there you go. Thanks for listening to my ramblings on my recent money-saving epiphanies. 

No comments:

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected